Mark,

Picture a sheet of paper folded into thirds. Along each edge are the
specifications for each of the RPG line types (H, I, T, O, C, etc.). They
are/were printed on a glossy type of material that was less conducive to
tearing than regular paper. IBM sent some out with each machine, or at least
with each set of RPG compiler tapes or diskettes. Memory fails me here.

You could lay the template on a printout, and locate where the line of code
may have been incorrectly entered, as in the case of a typo. You could also
see easily where your indicators for greater than, less than, or equal were
set.

Try printing a compile listing on a sheet of green bar paper and you'll see
what I mean.

Some of the forms vendors came up with their own version of the templates,
and these were stamped on steel rulers that they made available for free or
a small price.

Ah, the old days.

Paul Nelson
Office 512-392-2577