On 5/13/2010 4:41 PM, James H. H. Lampert wrote:

2. We are contemplating a fairly extensive redesign of our major
client-server application. We use a proprietary server and communication
protocol, and our server has exit-hooks that allow us to censor lists,
and block user actions, in order to enforce the customer's business
rules, as well as automatically propagate data into any "native system"
we're asked to tie into. There has been some talk of scrapping this
proprietary server strategy in favor of having the client access the
database through JDBC. But the question is, were we to do that, would we
be able to conveniently do everything we can currently do through exit
programs?

Try searching the Infocenter for 'database exit point'. One place to
look in V5R4 is Programming > iSeries Access > Programming > iSeries
Access for Windows: Database programming > iSeries Access ODBC > iSeries
Access for Windows ODBC performance

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/rzaik/rzaikodbcperfconsd.htm

There's information there on Exit programs and stored procedures from an
ODBC / JDBC perspective. Others might be able to supply better
references once they've heard what functions you're looking to emulate /
replace.

--buck