Kirk Goins wrote:

I have a client that does '2' backups each night. The first(SAVLIB *ALLUSR) to tape just fine. Recently the 2nd save of
of 20+ libs to savefiles hangs at different libs. The Job will
not end *IMMED and requires ENDJOBABN to kill it.

Although the conclusion that the request to end the job abnormally was a /requirement/ might seem to support that the save library request was hung, the symptom HANG is not the same as the symptom WAIT. Only problem investigation activity could determine which symptom most accurately describes the scenario; e.g. things like process & task dumps, possibly in combination with review of VLogs. Allowing the request to timeout may have the load\dump component logging some details about what was the object or event being awaited [but never encountered]. However ending the request may not allow that logging, such that only by review of the status of the dump tasks would indicate for what the task might have been waiting. Regardless....

The system is a
new E4A at 6.1 with the 10047 CUME and numerous groups applied,

Most hang or wait, esp. any that do not easily end, are typically LIC. IBM i 6.1 OS has both 6.1 and 6.1.1 LIC.

Would that include the HIPer group SF99609?

Today it wasn't big deal as the lib it hung on wasn't required by
users, Yesterday it had a production objects locked and users
were having problems.

Best time then, to investigate the problem, *before* attempting to recover from the problem; e.g. by ENDJOB, which impairs the ability to diagnose the condition\status\activity of the job.

Anyone seen this before?

High Impact Pervasive problems for r610:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/sline003.nsf/2d3aff1c6b4d6ce086256453000d971e/c06c2944e17f4b3e862573df005284d9?OpenDocument

A problem possibly manifest as an apparent hang, in the HIPer list above, was discussed previously on this list:
MA39127 - LIC-WAIT JOB HANGS WHILE PERFORMING SAVE OPERATION
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas255954f589e98fc33862576d70042481d
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas354c0437b336e913a862576e700688f93
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas3e603ffca5b6c9500862576e700688f88

Also from that HIPer list:
MA38023 - LIC-DB-JRN-WAIT DEADLOCK IN TASK JO-QUIET
? APAR link not found
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas30ece105244af450486257626005812fe
? other release PTF link not found

There is yet another [older] HIPer for SAV-related function, in the vrm610 PSP.

Regards, Chuck