Tuesday night, just as I was closing up for the day, I got one of those "You may be screwed-Contact your service provider" messages. Turned out to be an erratic (as opposed to completely failed) disk drive which was flooding the SCSI bus controller with messages. At least, that's what Rochester and the local CE determined.

One of the messages listed about a dozen PTF's that it said had been downloaded and needed to be installed. First, all of the PTF's it listed were already installed on the system. Second, all dealt with the internal (6384) tape drive (short story: same bus, tape drive got confused). Third, there is a savefile in QGPL with the date and time that the error occurred; however it has a totally different PTF number than any of the ones that the error message listed.

I have never used savefiles for PTF's; downloaded from Fix Central and either (in olden days) burned to a CD or put in an image catalogue. How do I copy the cover letters to see what the PTFs in the savefile are all about? The CPYPTFCVR wants a a tape or optical device name. How do I copy the PTF cover letters? And, if I decide I want to install them, how do I go about doing this from a savefile?

If I don't want to install the PTF's, can I just whack the savefile? Or is there a command I need to run to get rid of it?

Thanks.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
--
B&W Wholesale
office: 615-995-7024

More people are kicked to death by donkeys than die in aircraft accidents. - Encyclopedia of Useless Information (Personally I don't find this useless at all; just another reason to avoid jackasses.)