I would say the difference is about 1205 (rougly.) :-)

Actually as you have surmised they are physically and capably the same machine. The difference is the 9408 machines were build before the final merge of the System i and System p platforms into POWER systems. The 94xx models were System i heritage. The 820x models are POWER systems family. So IBM simply does a conversion in paperwork thus (mostly) just allowing IBMs systems to generate software keys and future upgrades for your system.

- DrFranken