Along similar lines, a few years back AMD was making their Athlon
processors. This is a little before the multi-core craze. For marketing
purposes they needed Athlon XP 1700s up through 2800s and 2900s. The 1700
(1.7GHz) sold for about $51 on the street; the 2600 (2.6GHz) for around $150
or so IIRC.

Normally, with CPU production they try to make the fastest CPU speeds. If a
chip fails QC at that speed, they test it at the next lower speed. Repeat
until the chip runs stable. In short, a chip that fails at 2.8GHz may be
perfectly happy all day long at 2.2GHz.

Their production yields were so good that they took to stamping CPUs that
passed QC at high speeds as low-speed CPUs just to satisfy market demands.
Of course, word of this leaked out so lots of people like me bought the XP
1700 and promptly "overclocked" it to the speed at which it originally
passed QC. You could read the speed based on how AMD coded the chip
models. In my case I got 2600 speed for a 1700 price and the CPU was rock
stable even running distributed computing which pegs the CPU at 100% all the
time.

(I have yet to activate my Dish HD DVR's USB port as well; while rated for
55 hours of HD programming, the reality is closer to 3-4 times that so
there's been no need. And I'll take a moment to plug Discovery Channel's
Life series that starts tomorrow; it's the follow-on series from the folks
who made Planet Earth.)