Depending on auto-create, auto-delete, and automatic vary-on for answer or dial, the same concept for review of last chg & use data, but drilled down to the controller(s) and their device(s)? I believe the delete & create of each subcomponent updates the change date of its direct parent component.

Complete WAGs: Consider review of those dates for any device *FILE objects which might directly refer to those configuration objects; e.g. DDMF, ICFF, & ?? ? Maybe also review those dates for or change to any *CFGL [type has no _use_ tracking] and *CNNL objects.?

While others have suggested even an explicit VRYCFG or an implicit VaryOn by ONLINE(*YES) will update the last used date & count values [ODUCEN, ODUDAT, & ODUCNT in QADSPOBJ], all of the object types of *LIND, *CTLD, and *DEVD are _supposed to_ have their "last used" attributes updated *only* when the configuration object "goes beyond status of vary on pending" which as I recall is to the various [partial] statuses of ALLOCATE, CONNECT, or ACTIVE [or perhaps others I do not recall]. Thus if there is no dial-in or dial-out on the line(s), they should not progress beyond the "vary on pending" status, except I suppose, for implicit dialout attempts which I expect could be disabled with the only ill-effect being a delay for any request to connect.?

Unfortunately the documentation about which operations impact the "last used" attributes, fails to use\include the /object type/ by their symbolic names, so searching requires using the words like "line description", "controller description", and "device description" versus LIND, CTLD, and DEVD to locate:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rbam6/detob.htm

Regards, Chuck

Crump, Mike wrote:
No absolute way but looking at the object information and reviewing change date, last used date, and days used. I think days used will increment when varied on. If the line is varied on
and left on it probably won't be much help. If it is varied on
demand then it would be useful.

Tim Gornall wrote: Subject:
How to tell if comm lines have been used lately?

We have a bunch of modems still connected to the box, but we don't believe any are still in use. Is there a way to tell of any activity on the lines, last used, etc?