Although the function _could_ be written in SQL, as in the example found at the noted link, I would expect using an external function might be a better option where both a portable function is not required and the amount of work performed per invocation is best reduced [as compared to the HexToInt SQL UDF for which I suspect its implementation is probably not very efficient as compared to using the MI instruction].
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc/browse_thread/thread/d2312748add3faf3/ca949144a21d9e6b

Regards, Chuck

Charles Wilt wrote:
I ran across this: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/library/samples/db2/0205udfs/index.html#download