From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 5:15 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Automating file xfer with NFS

On 2/25/2010 2:49 PM, JK wrote:
The file is visible from Windows Explorer but the iSeries cannot
seem to resolve it, throwing CPFA0A9 'Object not found' messages at me

instead. I tried various combinations of slashes and backslashes but
still no joy.

They should all be foreslashes. (Backslashes is Windows, not i)

One of the big problems with /QNTC (and the reason why I asked if you
had problems with Windows Networking on i) is that /QNTC tends to be
rather buggy (my opinion) -- or perhaps I should say, it doesn't take
into account all of the weird quirks that Microsoft's has.

For some shops it "just works" and it's great. In other shops, it's a
maddening source of frustration as it never seems to work right. I
didn't know if your shop happened to be one of the latter.

One workaround that sometimes works is to try to create the machine as a
directory in QNTC.

MKDIR '/QNTC/some_server'

Sometimes this kludge causes it to start connecting and working with
that machine. (knock on wood)

If you fall into the latter category of a system where QNTC never works
right, then NFS might be a good solution for you. But it does require
setting up and configuring NFS on the Windows server, and having to
mount the folder onto the IFS.

It also expects the userids on the i to match those on the Windows side,
and can open up strange security issues if they don't. From the Windows
side of things, it'll be expected to "just trust" the i -- and letting
the i control security, instead of Windows itself. (Which is why you
have to be careful to ensure that only your own administered machines
ever connect via NFS, and that they are all set up securely.)

But NFS isn't buggy like /QNTC. It works much more reliably.

If you're talking about purely transferring one file per day, and QNTC
doesn't behave, then FTP might be easier.