Guess I'll have to watch the webcast on Tuesday February 23 to get any
details but I was wondering how AEM or Active Energy Manager plays in an i
world.
http://www.common.org/webcasts/
Boss is talking about upgrading our PDU's to play with this team. Is this
just for monitoring purposes or does it act like an electric water heater
in the US? Where the electric company can send a message down the power
line to shutdown electric water heaters during times of peak consumption.

I can understand how individual equipment can be tuned for this. For
example, if the temperature is not that high then why spin fan motors so
high (or even spin all of them)? But how can a PDU help (other than
monitor)? Shut down the hardware? Give it a "brown out"?

Although having PDU's that I can remotely turn off/on sounds cool,
especially for a bank of modems that I often have to power cycle. Just
have to make sure that alternative equipment is not plugged in, or,
perhaps I can power cycle by outlet on the pdu.