Of course we all have been there... Knee deep in some complicated logic then someone knocks on your "door" and asks a question. Now not only do you have to talk to them (maybe even help them) but now you lost your train of thought. You have to recollect your train of thought and maybe redo a large debug because you lost your place. That is time wasted.

There is a simple solution, no interuptions faster development times. The problem is that for 99% of the shops out there this isn't feasible or possible.

I like Joel's idea of every developer has their own office with a door. If you need to concentrate, you shut the door.

My only problem with working from home is distractions. However, if it were to become a full-time office, I would make changes to cut out some of the distactions.

--
Mike Wills
http://mikewills.info

Sent from my iPod