While I'm not experienced with CPYFRMIMPF I have dealt with CPYTOIMPF and the latter takes an amazing amount of time compared to using RPG to access the IFS. Has anyone experienced the same with CPYFRMIMPF? If so, I suggest accessing the IFS with another method (I'm an RPG guy so my thought is RPG, but that's just me). However if speed isn't an issue (like the files aren't that big), than there's probably no reason to do it yourself.

-Kurt

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alan Campin
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:30 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Parsing out a string

I always hate to use CPYFRMIMPF. Any variations and it crashes and no idea
why. That is why I always write code so that I gracefully deal with the
garbage.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Alan Shore <AlanShore@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for your reply Vern
I was in fact thinking of doing that exact process
After all I know the number of fields involved and the size of each
resultant field

Alan Shore
Programmer/Analyst, Direct Response
E:AShore@xxxxxxxx
P:(631) 200-5019
C:(631) 880-8640
"If you're going through Hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

Vern Hamberg
<vhamberg@comcast
.net> To
Sent by: Midrange Systems Technical
midrange-l-bounce Discussion
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

02/16/2010 05:05 Subject
PM Re: Parsing out a string

Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

Alan

This is what is known as CSV - comma-separated variable - something like
that. Can the fields also contain embedded full quotes? That's make it
harder.

I can think of a complicated way - write the string out to a stream file
in the IFS, then use the CPYFRMIMPF with parameters set with these
delimiters, and it'll arrive in a PF.

Or if you know the length is never longer than some value, write it to a
single-column PF (not DDS-based, use record length on CRTPF) first, then
use CPYTOSTMF to get it to a stream file, than do the CPYFRMIMPF.

This takes heavy lifting out of it. I didn't say it was pretty!!! But
you'd get it written quickly. Figuring out a CSV parsing routine - well,
there are probably examples in C or whatever out there. Google for csv
and parser

HTH
Vern

Alan Shore wrote:
Afternoon everyone
I am to receive a string that contains a number (9) of fields that are
comma separated.
Each of these fields COULD also contain commas, therefore these fields
will
be incased in double quotes (")
Is there anything in SQL and/or RPGILE that will parse this data into
individual fields or is it a case of building my own logic

I've just re-read this e-mail and it looks familiar
I'll check the archives as well