Rob,

I don't see any other replies that mention the disk size....

You appear to have all 140GB Drives currently so the new drives MUST be their own Parity set. You are correct the striping would go across 4 drives.

Given the amount of data compared to the amount of storage I would seriously consider Hot Spare for this new set and establish it for the current sets as well. You've got the space and the drives!

- DrFranken

We have a system with 17 drives. We are going to add six 70GB drives. If
I add them two at a time they will add them to the existing parity set. If
I add them all at once it will start a new parity set. Starting a new
parity set effectively ties up one of the 70GB drives to raid striping. We
really don't need the space though - we just have 70GB drives laying
around. Without the new drives we are only at 50% used. The existing
parity set has the striping across 8 drives. I take it the new set would
have the striping across 4 drives?

These six 4327's would go into a 5787. Into P1-D1 through P1-D6.
P1-D7 through P1-D12 are 4328's. P2-D1 through P2-D5 and P2-D7 through
P2-D11 are 4328's. Leaving P2-D6 and P2-D12 open.