Lukas Beeler wrote:
Each release of Windows requires more
hardware to run,

Not true. The R2 releases of Windows server so far have never had
additional hardware requirements.
I was talking about major releases.

and it's usually a pain in the ass to upgrade.

Depends on the Application. Just like on the IBM i.
Actually, no it doesn't. That's the point of i5/OS: there is almost never a requirement to change an application when upgrading the OS. In fact, for most releases you don't even have to recompile. With Windows, as often as not you have to rewrite everything - not to mention getting the right drivers, etc.

Just
transitioning your Active Directory from one version to another is a
headache.

No, that's easy as pie if you know what you're doing.
Errr.... *http://tinyurl.com/yjj7wvc

*
It's not as easy as you're trying to make it. Most of them throw money
at IBM to fix simple issues like missing indexes - of course you can
run a 10'000'000 row table from 32 SSDs and get good performance, or
you could just create the indexes you need and run it from 6 15kRPM
disks in RAID5.

Not sure what your point is here. Logical files predate indexes by a long way and any decent RPG developer understands the concept. In fact, competent RPG programmers know more about database design than most SQL developers and nearly as much as DBAs.

The problem with simply "adding an index" is that if you don't understand what you're doing you end up with dozens of indexes on a large table. Obviously a good DBA knows better, but that's why SQL databases require this position, and DB2 does not. A good RPG programmer can address this in any of several ways, and knows why to use each one.

Joe