From: Jack Kingsley <iseriesflorida@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, February 8, 2010 8:05:58 AM
Subject: The dreaded system full, now what.

I recently had a system that had filled up it's disk storage due to a run
away job and an errant qsysprt printer file set to nomax on records, the
system was basically locked up. Does anyone have specific instructions on
what they do when a problem such as this comes about. I did a normal IPL
and did not know what I had at the time until the IPL had completed and I
was able to gain access to a signon screen. Once signed on I did a quick
wrksyssts and could see what was going on. At that time I ended all
subsystems to get the box in a restricted state in order to diagnose what
was going on. I happened to stumble on the spooled file that had the
dreaded +++++ for pages. Once I deleted the spooled file the disk storage
went down, but then I get bit by the qrclsplstg system value being set to
*NONE, this caused a massive locking problem on members in QSPL library and
jobs that could not then run due to qpjoblog locks. If I had not stumbled
on the spooled file I am not sure how long it would have taken me to figure
out the(where has mydisk space gone) situation. I don't believe there is a
command to quickly diagnose previous rtvdskinf(s) either and or a command to
show which reports take up the most disk storage(not at least quckly )
anyways.