I apologize. Here's how that message was supposed to read:

True, but in that case you're passing a pointer (address) and not the
variable. For instance on the call to fscanf() you need to pass an
array name (address of first element) or the address operator (&) with
the correct operand/variable. The arguments (pointers in this case)
themselves are passed by value. The variable addressed by the pointer
can certainly be changed, no argument there. My confusion is with the
assertion that structs (or anything else for that matter) are not
passed by value (by default) when calling a function using C.

Having gone back and re-read what Scott said, I now see and agree with your
point, Bruce. But I also agree with Scott: from a performance standpoint it
is usually better to pass a pointer to a structure than it is to pass the
structure itself in c, especially if the structure is large. When you pass
the pointer, you are passing by reference.

Consider, for example, the FILE structure, and how we use it.

For reference: http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/201002/msg00269.html
"the vast majority of structures I've seen used in C are passed by
reference."

Dennis Lovelady
"Those who make the worst use of their time are the first to complain of its
shortness."
-- Jean de La Bruyre