The issue that I have with DDM is that if you wanted to access 100
tables on another system, you have to setup/maintain 100 DDM files.

With DRDA, just one Connect statement is needed.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vern Hamberg
Sent: 04 February 2010 22:38
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: New application using remote databases from RPG program

Interesting you recommend this article - because Elvis points out the
same thing I did - this is all doable with DDM RLA.

I have no problem with using embedded SQL (DRDA) other than the extra
code to manage all the connections. With DDM, that is implicit in the
DDM files. The code will be cleaner, seems to me.

Now the OP could use USROPN on the DDM files, too. Whether using DDM or
embedded SQL, seems to me he will be processing one remote system at a
time. It's kind of a wash, but I'd still lean toward DDM for its
simplicity and robustness - hey, it's legacy!! It ain't gonna break!!
Probably!!

Multiple simultaneous connections don't seem to gain anything here, so
far as I can tell.

:-)

McGovern, Sean wrote:
Go for DRDA !