Dennis,

Just out of idle curiosity, I did the following tests (running V5R3, with
the latest PTFs):

1.- Created a table, no index, SRTSEQ(*HEX). Ran a query against field F1.
System suggested to create an index for F1
2.- Created (SQL) index for F1. Ran query again. System used index F1.

3. Created another table, this time with SRTSEQ(*LANGIDSHR). Ran the same
query. System suggested (again) to create an index for field F1.
4. Created suggested index. Ran query again. This time, the system told me
that it had examined available indexes, but it couldn't use it due to reason
18 (msgid CPI432D, which states:

<QUOTE/>
18 - The left-most key of the access path matched a field specified for the
selection criteria. However, the sequence table associated with the access
path did not match the sequence table associated with the query. Therefore,
key row positioning could not be performed, making the cost to use this
access path higher than the cost associated with the chosen access method.
</QUOTE>

I'm afraid I'm out of additional ideas about this one. Nevertheless, if you
find the answer to your problem, it would be nice to know about it.

Regards,

Luis Rodriguez