Probably have to reorg the "live" member so that the rrns were sequential and in the same range, yes? (the file is quite old and hasn't been re-orged ever to my knowledge)

I may try that. I am on i 6.1

Pete

Dennis Lovelady wrote:
So now I would like to read through each
record
in the live data and replace 5 fields of information in it with data
from the fake file. Of course the fake file isn't keyed and wouldn't
have a matching employee number in any case, so the challenge is to
read
the live data record by record and replace it, record by record with
the
5 fields from the fake file. There are the same number of records in
both files.

I haven't worked this out completely, but you could join the two files even
though there is no common key. An example of this is as follows:

with t1 as (select columna cola, rrn(a) rrna from file1 a)
, t2 as (select columna colb, rrn(b) rrnb from file2 b)
select rrna, cola, colb from t1
join t2 on rrna = rrnb
(At least this works at V5R3. You didn't name your OS level.)

Does that help spawn any ideas?

Dennis Lovelady
"I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake -- which I
also keep handy."
-- W.C. Fields