On 1/20/2010 8:12 PM, CRPence wrote:
Kirk Goins wrote:
A client had message about QSYS/QASJINVID being damaged
during a SAVSYS.
They elected not to renew their SW Maint when it was due so
no IBM Support ( for now ). Anyway a quick search on Google
and IBM didn't turn up much. Anyone know what is in this
file? Can I just recover it froma previous SAVSYS?

As a database file.mbr or file.mbr.dataspace which is damaged,
likely the object can be restored from the LABEL to which it was
saved, but only *after* the damaged object is deleted. A member or
dataspace of a non-SQL database file would be deleted using RMVM,
leaving the the parent *FILE object in tact with any private
authorities and ownership. If the member or data is partially
damaged, then the data may be recoverable using CPYF FROMRCD(1) to a
temporary file; depending on how the file is defined [for what it is
used], getting data back to the restored member may not be as easy.

If the file is deleted, then the slip install from the prior Save
System request will put the file back. Presumably the file is a
"language object", which means installing just the language feature
versus the code should recover; but as a language object, the *FILE
should be on a LABEL from which a RSTOBJ can be performed, as
alluded in the prior paragraph.

RCLSTG was noted, but be aware that RCLSTG will *not* correct
either partial or full damage. The request to perform Reclaim
Storage will only notify of the damage. Since the SAVSYS has
already done that, there is little value in wasting the time of a
RCLSTG to see that condition notified again.

Regards, Chuck
Thanks Chuck abd Rob, very good info. I've done a few Slip installs over the years.