Dennis,

The objects are not identical. If you create a physical file with DDS,
its properties are different than those of a SQL created table. Even
if you add a field with ALTER TABLE, it remains a PF. A numeric field
can get written with invalid data.

Now, if you create a table (physical file, as opposed to a logical
file or an index), there is no way you can write invalid data on it,
even using CPYF FMTOPT(*NOCHK).

As far as I understood (and my limited English knowledge may get me in
problems here), the OP did not ask what to call these things, but how
to explain the difference:

************************
Is there a simple way to explain the difference between a table and a
physical file a part from one is created by SQL and the other with
DDS?
Should it bug me when a coworker says table but means a PF? It does
and I'm not sure why.
************************

A nice feature of the IBM i is that it allows the use of SQL tables
and PFs in an almost indistinct way. That does not mean they are the
same (you can check it with the DSPFD command)

BTW, the "IBM Certified Systems Expert - eServer i5 iSeries"
certification is not related to DB2. Moreover, that line in my
signature does not (unfortunately) make me an expert in everything
related to the i5/iSeries/i world (and it is a little bit outdated, to
boot). Mostly, it is a holdover from the times I worked for a BP here
in Venezuela. They insisted we wrote our most relevant certification
in our e-mail’s signatures (they did pay for them; after all, those
things are quite expensive for us).

Best Regards,

Luis Rodriguez