From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Oberholtzer
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:52 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Are there vendors who have System i5 bare metal
restore,capability

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 16:24, Don Cavaiani <dcavaiani@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Does anyone truly provide this service, and if so, is anyone
currently using it?

This is possible using IBM's Save 21, which is part of the base OS.
No need for third party products.

Don,

It entirely depends on what your purposes are. There are several
partners that monitor Midrange-L that have the capability of providing
you with a test machine for a short period of time (usually no more
than a couple of weeks) for a fee. I do, iTech Solutions (Pete
Massiello), and even the Frankeni Lab ( Larry Bolhuis, www.frankeni.com)
and we are not the only ones. If you are looking for an upgrade or
recovery test all three of the mentioned vendors offer that service.
Many other partners do as well, and a local one to you would be most
economical, although with communications it really does not matter.
Depending on your location I will bring my machine to you scratched and
ready for a recovery. So will Pete and Larry. Have you called your
business partner?

As to recovery media, that is usually tape. If you have another
recovery method in mind you would have to contact your preferred vendor,
again all three of the aforementioned vendors offer services in those
areas depending on your needs.

The biggest question of all is what is it you are trying to accomplish?