In my CLF CL parser I ended up special casing the special value cases such
as you point out.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Dennis Lovelady <iseries@xxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

I have a utility that I've used for some time that parses CL program
sources
for various purposes. Only recently I have run into the following question
'cuz I accidentally happened to write the program to work correctly under
most circumstances. The anomaly is related to comments, and how to
determine, from a dumb text-formatting program's standpoint, where a
comment
actually begins.

The case in question is like these two:

DSPOBJD MYLIB/*ALL /* HERE IS A COMMENT */ +

MYCMD MYPARM(*PART2/*PART1) /* Another comment */

Until I actually thought about this statement, I took for granted the magic
(or the rule) that IBM has to employ to make this work. In other words,
what keeps the command parser from seeing /*ALL or *PART1 as the beginning
of a comment? I read in the CL reference (or some other official IBM
document) that a /* comment may start wherever a space is allowed. And a
space is certainly allowed after MYLIB in the above (albeit with incorrect
result). Is it special programming, or is there a rule that would help
here?

Thanks for any insight.

Dennis E. Lovelady
AIM/Skype: delovelady MSN: fastcounter@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/dennislovelady>
www.linkedin.com/in/dennislovelady --
"We're proud of our restaurant. The public is invited to inspect at any
time. KEEP OUT!"
- sign on kitchen door of a New Your City restaurant