There are no Power6 model 820 servers.

First, no one can guess-timate what your workload will be on these. You can
use the CPW as a benchmark of the processing power that each server has.

We all know that IBM i loves memory, and with 70 users running JDE the
workload will run much better with 8 or 16GB for memory than with 4gb. In
addition, the SAS drives are just a little quicker than the SCSI, but that
shouldn't matter that much. What will matter is the Controller card, and
it's cache. The embedded card in the Power 6 will be much faster and have
more cache. In all the JDE customers that I have, they all seem to be very
I/O bound, so you can be sure that the new embedded Disk controller in the
POWER6 will improve your workload over the one in the Power5. I don't think
the embedded is 1.5GB, but 340MB of cache, the power 5 was (16MB or 40MB).

Have you or your business partner used the workload estimator, so that you
can see for yourself how your present workload in Server 2 will run on 1a or
1b. I would definitely look at doing this before issuing the *SpendMoney
command.

Pete

Pete Massiello
iTech Solutions