Hello Wise Midrangers,

As a hobby project, I want to setup a PC to act as a TCP/IP_ethernet to
SNA_twinax gateway. The PC has an IBM 5250 Express PCI adapter (p/n
88H0210) installed. I am able to communicate from the PC to an AS/400
machine over twinax using IBM Personal Communications v4.3 software.
The PC currently has Microsoft Windows NT4 and Microsoft SNA Server 4.0.
However, the IBM twinax driver that ships with Microsoft SNA Server 4.0
only supports older IBM 5250 cards, not the IBM 5250 Express PCI.
The AS/400 does have an ethernet card, and I should be able to connect
from remote PC's directly to the AS/400 using TCP/IP over ethernet, but
I'd like to try and get the TCP/IP <--> SNA gateway working on the PC.
Note:
Microsoft SNA Server was bundled with Microsoft BackOffice Server.
Microsoft SNA Server was renamed Microsoft Host Integration Server.
There is also a newer Microsoft product called BizTalk Server.
My questions:
Does Microsoft SNA Server 4.5 or any of the newer Microsoft products have
an IBM 5250 twinax driver that supports the IBM 5250 Express PCI adapter?
Or is a driver available from IBM? If not, maybe I should I be looking
for an older or different 5250 twinax card. Any recommendations?
Also, is there a Linux implementation for what I'm trying to do?
So, to be clear: I want to start a 5250 session on any PC and contact
the gateway PC using TCP/IP over ethernet, and have the session forwarded
via SNA over twinax to the AS/400.
Here is a PC gateway configuration documented by IBM with an older
version of Microsoft SNA Server and an older IBM 5250 adapter:
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/networking/pub/products/5250/pdf/sna_nt.pdf
Here is info on the IBM 5250 Express PCI adapter (p/n 88H0210):
http://www.networking.ibm.com/nhd/webnav.nsf/pages/525xpres:525xcard.html#2
http://www.networking.ibm.com/525/525home.html
Other Microsoft info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Host_Integration_Server