OK, last response...

I didn't meant i want an OO version of RPG.

Just that it needs to have some basic structures/operations to be called a great "business language".

From: neill.harper@xxxxxxxx
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Would it be a reasonable to ask IBM's programmers to, write a %sortsfl(sfl: column)
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 09:32:51 +0000

Ok fair enough. I think I get the message.

You are right there are loads of things that could and should be in RPG. But
there are also I lot of things about RPG that make it a fantastic language
to use for business logic. F spec and you are done as far as reading and
writing to database files. The seems so simple and we take it for granted,
but 50% (yeah ok i made this statistic up) of PC developments never deliver
because someone spent weeks coming up with the perfect object relational
mapping to that a generic list of ICustomer and persist it goodness knows
where, controlled by numerous config files.

Sometimes there is rock solid reliability and a satisfying elegance in using
a language that is just right for the job. If you want to use maps, and
hashes etc then why not try Java or roll your own in C++.

RPG has a purpose and it serves it well, whilst I'd love to see an object
orientated version of RPG, I'd much rather see IBM invest money in newer
technologies, like Java and PHP and ways for those languages to take
advantage RPG in inexpensive and easy to control ways.

Ok rant over, sorry everyone :-)