On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Jim Oberholtzer
<jim.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Why do anything to the 5250 data stream at all? Subfiles are a creature of the System/38 lineage
and while they are a fabulous tool they are outmoded except in a 5250 environment.  I would
rather IBM spend its resources developing APIs that allow the developer to build the view in
what ever technology that makes sense for that application be it a browser, PDA, or other semi
intelligent device.

An API, perhaps, which is an exit program on display files. Where
instead of ( or in addition to ) directing the display I/O to the
display device, the specified exit program is called. That way a
program that uses a display file could be unchanged, but the green
screen aspect of it replaced with something else. Whatever the exit
program forwarded the display I/O onto.