We have two System i's: Production and Backup. I have a process (CL) that can be used to restore the previous night's Production libraries to the Backup (the libraries are in SaveFiles FTPed around 0100). The process does the restore by running a CLRLIB on the target library and, then, doing a RSTOBJ from the SaveFile.

During testing something else, I found out that my boss created an SQL view in LibraryA over a table in LibraryB. LibraryA is CLRLIB/RSTOBJ first, which means the View is erased. After the RSTOBJ the View/LF) picks up on the table (PF) in LibraryB. I have no problem understanding that. I am, though, confused as to why I have not gotten an error when the process clears LibraryB, which contains the table on which the View is hung.

A little more: I found the View when I was testing some year-end changes. I tried to CLRLIB on LibraryB manually (i.e., not as part of the aforementioned process) and got an error that not all objects could be deleted. Tracking down the reason was how I found the View hanging off in another library.

I checked the PF, and it is current as of 0100 on Production (it's a historical table so all I have to do is verify that it has transactions dated yesterday, which it does).

Jerry C. Adams
IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
--
B&W Wholesale