The INZSYS doesn't run until the system restarts after completion of the OS
upgrade, so that's no problem. Chapter 8, step 5 of the V5R4
upgrade/install guide will help out with this - as well as page 168 of the
same manual. But I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle with INZSYS -
if there's an operation you can't do because INZSYS hasn't run, it will tell
you.

You can spin PTFs immediately after the OS upgrade and before INZSYS is
done, but you can NOT do it if you've IPLed after the upgrade unless INZSYS
has run. And if you IPL the system restricted and then start the
controlling subsystem manually, INZSYS will not run by itself. There's all
the rules and regulations in the "INZSYS Recovery" section of the manual.

But typically, you'll get done with the OS and LPP install, verify GO LICPGM
option 50 shows good for your LPPs, then spin your PTF package, and
finally IPL to B-side. When it comes up on the B-side, things start and
INZSYS runs. And you're also back in your normal controlling subsystem.

What kind of console are we talking here? LAN? Twinax? What SRC is on the
display now? Does this system have software support? There's lots of ways
I could think to *try* to recover this, but I wouldn't do it on anything but
a system I knew I had a clean backup of prior.

I'd think the safest way would be to work on getting your console back and
then burn the .iso's to CD and just do the PTF load the "old way." Then
involve IBM if that spin doesn't work.

But - if it had software support, I'd be on 800-IBM-SERV even if I had some
ideas. I'm sure they've seen this before.

Let us know what happens.

jch