Found it:

September/October 2000 news/400
http://systeminetwork.com/article/optimizing-as400-batch-performance
http://systeminetwork.com/article/optimizing-as400-batch-performance-part-2

Here's a word doc and common presentation by the author
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas10160ded67978843b86256d6c0054e53b

(Freelance Player for presentation)
https://www-01.ibm.com/software/lotus/products/smartsuite/freelancescreen.html

Charles

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Charles Wilt <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kirk,

I have to think you're either misremembering (maybe the 40% ave disk
usage recommendation), or the recommendation has changed.

Particularly in regards to batch processing; years ago I read an IBM
paper (that I can't find right now) that talks about getting the best
batch performance possible.  One key method, restructure the job into
multiple jobs so that the CPU usage is driven as close as possible to
100%.

Charles