Save is on LTO1 on a (9 year old) 720. Duped to an LTO3 cartridge in a
LTO4 drive on our development system and restored from a LTO4 drive on
the new Power box.

The LTO4 cartridges are still a bit pricey.

mike.cunningham@xxxxxxx 11/03/2009 12:13:55 PM >>>
Hey no fair! How come your restore is 25% faster than your backup!!!
Just kidding. Ours is due to lots of IFS objects (tiff images). The
restore of everything but the IFS was a little faster but the IFS was a
little longer, so it was just about equal.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Roger Harman
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 2:55 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: side-by-side upgrade

I'm in the same situation but we're not reinstalling from scratch.
Doing a save 21, restoring profiles first (see recent thread) and then
clearing and restoring data & program libraries for our stuff. Probably
about a 4 hour job in total - 2 for backup, .5 for DUPTAP (incompatible
drives), 1.5 for restore.

mike.cunningham@xxxxxxx 11/03/2009 11:15:38 AM >>>
We purchased a new power 6 system as an upgrade and are able to run both
the old and new systems side by side. Our BP installed V5R4M5 on the new
system and then we did a full save (option 21) on the current system and
a full restore to the new. They the BP installed the most recent PFTs.
Total time to backup was about 4 hours, total time to restore was about
4 hours. Adding in the PFTs added another 6. 14 hours total downtime to
make the switch. We are going to check out the new system to be sure
everything is there and running and looks good and then schedule a
weekend to make the final cutover. Since the only thing that is going
to change is our data could we safely do a save (option 21) and then
just restore userprofiles and our libraries? BP would like to blow away
everything and start from installing V5R4M5 again, then a full restore
and all the PFTs again. Looking to save that extra 6 hours of downtime.