I guess I was not talking either object type or device type but Object Attribute just like DSPF is a *FILE object attribute or PRTF is a *FILE object attribute. Something that could be added without needing to add a new device type to an RPG F spec. F spec might be SPECIAL or some other new name. Instead of having the Open I/O code in the RPG application that code would all be external to the RPG application and inside the external object.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nathan Andelin
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:10 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: IBM i "Open I/O" Architecture

From: Mike Cunningham
Have a object type of HTML ... Then throw in an object type of IPHONE,
PDA, ANDROID, ORACLE, MYSQL, MSSQL....

Object type? Do you mean device type? Extend beyond the traditional PRINTER, DISK, WORKSTN, and SPECIAL device types? No matter how long the list of devices the interface may support, there will always be devices that are not supported. That idea may be the type of over-engineering that Jon expressed fear of. Bummer, they left out Adobe FLEX, Microsoft Silverlight, DOJO Clients, and barcode readers as device types.

That's one of the reasons that the idea of Open I/O handlers is more attractive - the interface would not be closed to any particular client device.

-Nathan.