From: Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, October 20, 2009 7:24:17 PM
Subject: Re: IBM i "Open I/O" Architecture

Nathan

This enhancement is intended to give RPG developers the ability to use
exactly the same opcodes they always have. As has been said, there will
likely be a keyword on the F-spec that indicates what will handle the
IO. It will still be record-based. It'll need to work with input and
output buffers. You still need to have an existing PF or LF or DSPF or
PRTF for the compiler to get record and field information from. It will
most likely use service programs - procedures will need to be written to
support the various IO opcodes, as Scott listed them. There will be some
mechanism to provide the handler with the information it needs to do its
job.

I hear mixed reviews - those who know how to write subprocedures using
various APIs might not see a need. I'm not in that camp - although it
COULD all be done with subprocedures, etc. I mean, you can always call
the CGI APIs to write out to a web page. You can always work with data
queue APIS or user space APIs. But this would make those operations
"native". Others think RPG is dead and no one should develop anything
new in it. They think this will be a flop.

I'm not sure now many regular shops will write their own - there is
opportunity however for open source and for vendors to provide the handlers.

It does show that IBM is interested in the future of RPG, in my opinion.
It will be interesting

BTW, this is not anything official, so things could change.

Vern

Nathan Andelin wrote:
Thanks for that update, Scott - particularly the point about IBM maintaining backward compatibility - existing programs won't break. From your video I gather that Ian indicated that it's a pretty big deal for IBM to "open" it's I/O architecture.

I wondered about possible similarities with SPECIAL file handlers, but if I/O handlers are defined external to programs, it sounds more like "triggers" or "exit points". Some time ago I was interested in using a SPECIAL file for a utility I had in mind, but was discouraged that the "file" or "record" name (I don't remember which) was not passed as a parameter. Open I/O sounds a lot more promising.

Regarding the 5250 data stream, it has always been difficult to capture & parse. It sounds like Open I/O may be a lot easier and more flexible.

-Nathan.