Hi Eric

I wasn't clear whether the OP needs to JOIN the files. On second read, it is kind of implied. And the user/password thing is a bit of a pain. Is there some setting in CHGNETA that controls DDM security?

I don't know DB2 Multi either - seems I heard that it kind of puts different parts of tables on various systems, but don't quote me.

I an intrigued by the federation facility of DB2 Connect - PC-based component - it is possible to have several kinds of RDBMS joined in a single statement. I think!

Tomorrow, more fun at the RPG & DB2 Summit!!

Vern

DeLong, Eric wrote:
Vern,

While what you say is true, there is the limitation that the data must
be copied to the local system before it can be used in joins to local
tables. Also, when using CONNECT TO in SQLRPGLE, you have to specify
userid and password. That either means hardcoding these into the
program source (SOX/PCI - not allowed here) or some sort of encrypted
storage (perhaps db2 ENCRYPT()). But, then you get into encryption key
or passphrase management, which is similar to the original problem of
securely storing login data....

I think DB2 Multisystem would be useful for this, but I've never seen it
installed, and have no idea how much it costs.

-Eric DeLong