I wonder how much of that confusion is alleviated by a good view, stored
procedure or metadata?

I think it's rather silly that most people are loath to create even a
simple view that:
- Calculates OnHand if your ERP package constantly has you calculate that
by adding and subtracting various fields (like Infor).
- Renames columns from silly 6 character RPG I field names to something
that a query tool can understand - and most of them can understand even
better than 10 characters (and yes I mean on the i).
- Joins various tables together.
But instead feel that "copy this query to get most of that for you" is
acceptable.