On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 19:00, James H. H. Lampert
Can somebody point me to the manual I'm looking for?
Well, i'd be happy to. But using Google, i didn't a definitive guide
for all the steps required. All i can tell you is that the documents
that come with the system are not sufficient.
Here's my general plan on what you need to do get a machine up and running.
1) Get the LAN Console PC into shape. Install System i Access V6R1,
apply the latest service pack. Disable the Windows Firewall -
important for getting BOOTP working. IBM doesn't seem to add the right
configuration entries to the Windows Firewall.
2) Configure the PC for a static IP adress. Add the appropriate LAN
console configuration, make sure to get the serial number and all that
3) Attach the PC to the Ethernet Port 1 of the System. NOT on the HMC
ports, but on the first port of the GX+ card. Ensure the PC is
directly connected to the system. The PC will not have link until
after i5/OS is being loaded, but make sure that the cable you have is
working. Crossover cabels are not needed.
4) Start the LAN console connection
5) Attach the UPS relay cable to the system. I believe it's serial
port number 2, but i'd have to have the system in front of me to tell.
6) Attach power to the system
7) Wait till the FSP has finished initialization (~2-5 minutes)
8) Press the white power button
9) When prompted on the LAN console PC, enter "11111111" as both
username and password
10) You should new see the logon prompt. Logon using QSECOFR/QSECOFR
11) Ensure that the system sees the UPS using DSPMSG QSYSOPR, it
should say something along the lines of "uninterruptible power supply
12) Change QUPSDLYTIM to something sensible
13) Configure TCP/IP using GO TCPADM
14) Install all additionally needed license programs
15) Install latest Cum/group/hiper PTFs
16) Change QCCSID, QLOCALE, QDECFMT, QTIMZON etc.
17) Configure the NTP client using CHGNTPA
If after 8 the system hangs with a A900 2000 (i believe), you either
did something wrong or IBM shipped the system with the wrong console
configuration. Google for "procedure 65 + 21" for a solution.