David Gibbs wrote:
James H. H. Lampert wrote:
I'm trying to avoid reinventing any wheels here: does anybody know of an easy way to scan an entire stream file for a string?

grep in qshell?

Maybe. Allow me to elaborate:

Somewhere, buried in the stream file of arbitrary length, there may or may not be a string of the form

foo="<block of 20 characters>"

We don't know what <block of 20 characters> is, and that's what we want to retrieve.

For example,
foo="A1B2C3D4E5F6G7H8I9J0"
or
foo="1J2I3H4G5F6E7D8C9B0A"

The object here is for a program, operating without any human intervention, to find the string, and copy the block of 20 characters into a *DTAARA.

Any ideas?

--
JHHL