Thanks Scott. I actually thought about writing a program to do that but I'm not sure where it could run because any system it runs on couldn't have the LPD active.

Albert

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Klement" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Change port on remote output queue
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:56:21 -0500

Be careful. The port number for HP's JetDirect/PJL protocol varies
quite often with printers, but the port number for LPR is pretty much
fixed -- I never see people use a different number besides 515 for LPR.

If you really do need to connect to a printer on a different port, you
could write TCP socket program that receives connections on 515, then
connects to the printers port, and copies everything it receives on 515
to the printer's port 1234, and vice-versa. Easy enough to code for
someone familiar with the socket API.

But I would be very suspicious of this. If they really are using LPR,
it would be extremely unusual to use a different port, and it might be a
good indication that they're really using something else besides LPR.

Albert York wrote:
I don't know the specifics. I was asked this question by a co-worker
becuase she has a client who requested it. Apparently they have some
printers which use non-standard ports.