Actually, I need to find where the signs are mis-matched, so the
examples should have been

select * from myfile
where abs(fld1) + abs(fld2) <> abs(fld1 + fld2)

select * from myfile
where Fld1 < 0 and Fld2 > 0
or Fld1 > 0 and Fld2 < 0

Thanks!
Charles Wilt

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Charles Wilt<charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All,

I need an SQL statement to determine if two fields have the same sign.

There's the obvious..

select
  case
     when Fld1 <= 0 and Fld2 <= 0 then 'Yes'
     when Fld1 >= 0 and Fld2 >= 0 then 'Yes'
     else 'No'
  end as Same_Sign
from myFile

And the slightly tricky  (Though I haven't quite convinced  myself
that it'd work :)
select
  case
     when abs(fld1) + abs(fld2) = abs(fld1 + fld2) then 'Yes'
     else 'No'
  end as Same_Sign
from myFile

Anybody have any thoughts on either one of the above methods or an
alternative method?

The statement in question will be dealing with a couple of 80M record files.

Thanks!
Charles Wilt