On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 17:39, Nathan Andelin<nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My understanding and position now is that in cases where you write a record to one table and update another by a single transaction, you can for all practical purposes, guarantee Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, & Durability, with RPG RLA by first getting a lock on the row you're updating, write the transaction, check for a write error, then conditionally update the locked record if no error occurs on the write.

That works very well in the case of a system crash or a power outage.

(Cue: The IBM i never has any issues, never crashes, and we never have
any power outages in our triple redundant datacenter)

This thread ...