Michael

Interactive SQL has not kept up with most of the new stuff in SQL on i - it does not even support the JOIN keywords. But, as Birgitta said, you do have the ability to execute a CREATE FUNCTION command.

Too bad they stopped improving that interface - I cut my SQL teeth in there and didn't even bleed all that much!

Vern

Koester, Michael wrote:
(If this would be more appropriate to the RPG or WDSC lists, let me
know.)

I noticed some articles that reference some very handy user defined
functions that I'd like to incorporate and use in embedded SQL
statements. Having never created a UDF before, I thought I could copy
some sample code and make it happen. It appears that CREATE FUNCTION is
not available to me. Interactive SQL does not list FUNCTION as a
supported argument to the CREATE verb. Coding it into SQLRPGSRC makes
the WDSCi syntax-checker mad (it doesn't like the "Language SQL"
statement, among others), so I am wondering if I'm going about this all
wrong, or if we don't have the necessary licensed programs on our
machine, or ???

The UDF I tried to create is:

Create Function myLib/IsNumeric
(@TestData VarChar(64))

Returns Char(1)

Deterministic

Not Fenced

Language SQL

Set Option Commit=*None, UsrPrf=*Owner
Begin

Declare @Double Double Not Null Default 0;

Declare Exit Handler For SQLException
Return 'N';
If @TestData Is Null Then
Return 'N';

End If;
Set @Double=Cast(@TestData As Double);
Return 'Y';

End

I didn't see anything that ran counter to the syntax in the WDSCi
Reference.

Running V5R4 and WDSCi 7.0.0.8 Been doing embedded SQL programming here
for over a year.
TIA.
--Michael Koester