No. I was referring to the "c:" drive running out of space. Say a
spammer
floods a mail server with garbage that fills the drive unexpectedly.

Well, best practices would dictate that you not use c: for that, but our
point it valid on any drive. :-) However, that's no different from using
up all the space on any machine. When you use it all up it's all gone --
even on i, been there, done that. :-)

My understanding is that under Windows you allocate space to a "drive",
then reference
that drive from applications. The logical drive is a fixed size - and
doesn't extend
automatically, when another physical drive is added.

While there can be exceptions, yes, that's the general rule. And yes, it
doesn't _automatically_ expand when you add another drive. However, that
just means it's left to the admin to decide whether you should expand
the storage of a given drive letter. You can expand it hot.

-Walden