1 - If the new QAQQINI options are not in the Infocenter, then ding them.
Granted, you may get a response like I did about the SSD's that they may
cover it in the next release. Toughest thing is not the code - it's
translating the help, infocenter, etc into the plethora of languages
supported by IBM. :-)

2 - Is there any way you can fix the equation in SQL? I don't know if
it's applicable but moving stuff from the left to the right of a where
clause can help performance by using indexes (if available) but can also
avoid errors. For example, a coworker used to use
where NumToDate(numericdate) = current date
and changing that to
where numericdate = DateToNum(current date)
solved the issue with invalid dates (we also changed NumToDate to return a
null on an invalid date).

3 - Expanding further on functions, could you pass the numeric field to a
function to pass back a number?
select ...,
MyRpgFunctionToReturnANumberFromDecimalDataErrorField(PotentiallyBadNumber)
From ...
?