Could you give us a little more info on the specs of the 520. CPW, RAM, disk and how you have RAM split up into pools? (WRKSYSSTS).

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Brian Piotrowski
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 9:05 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: System Analysis Suggestions

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a course of action to help determine out bottlenecks in our AS400 and a plan to improve performance?

A few years ago we upgraded to a 520-9406 machine. However, I have noticed over the past two years that our CPU usage has slowly been creeping up as new programs have been added. As it stands right now, whenever I check CPU usage I hardly ever see it below 80%. Usually it is in the 90%+ range. I know it is frustrating to our users, and I can't blame them - I would hate to wait for jobs to finish for long stretches at a time.

I would like to determine where the bottlenecks are occurring, and I wonder if the group has any suggestions? Looking at the active jobs, I suspect it may have something to do with all of the web pages that hit the 400 on a regular basis - I see an awful lot of QZDASOINIT jobs occupying a fair chunk of CPU usage. There are other jobs that run regularly that consume a fair amount of usage as well.

Are there any free / built-in programs I can use to analyze the 400 to see where and when these bottlenecks occur? I do have a HW/SW contract on the 400, so could I have IBM come in and perform an analysis on the system to determine our problems? I'd hate to throw a bunch of money upgrading the main storage/DASD/CPU to P20+ if that isn't really the problem (and I'm sure our senior management group would be less than happy as well).

Any ideas would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Brian.

Brian Piotrowski