This is just one more of the issues that really irks me about the IBM SMTP
server and why I created a standalone email client for myself and my
customers.

I have customers emailing me once in a while that say they IPL'd and
suddenly emails from 3 (or more!) years ago are appearing in their inbox
as well. I've seen it happen myself too.

The best way to "fix" this is when you have some downtime, end SMTP and
MSF, restart MSF with the *CLEAR option then start SMTP again. This will
wipe out any of the old emails that are causing the loop.

Bradley V. Stone
BVSTools, Inc.
[1]www.BVSTools.com
[2]www.eRPGSDK.com

Rich Loeber wrote:

I have a little bit more information on this issue. Since there have been
no takers on it, I thought I'd add this in to see if it rings a bell with
any one.

The bad email addresses that the server is looping on appear to be bad
domain names.

Could a fix for the problem be as simple as changing the DNS lookup
priority from *LOCAL to *REMOTE?

Rich Loeber - @richloeber
Kisco Information Systems
[1][3]http://www.kisco.com

Rich Loeber wrote:

I have a customer using their i5 server (V5R4) to send direct deposit
advice notifications to their customers. Once a month they drop a ton of
these into the system to be sent out .... probably about 1000 in a single
day. They are using the SMTP and POP servers on the i5 to handle the
outbound email tasks to lighten the load on the house mail server.

I've noticed in the last few months that the SMTP server appears to go
into a loop for several days following the monthly process. Sometimes,
this looping can take up to 50%-65% of the CPU cycles available.

I turned SMTP journaling on today for a few minutes and I can see from the
journal data that the SMTP server is just looping over and over again ....
constantly .... on two different email addresses. Why would it do that?

Is there anywhere I can look to see how to interpret the SMTP journal
information?

I checked the SMTP server settings for retry settings and this is what I
see:

Retries by minute:
Number of retries . . . . . . 3
Time interval . . . . . . . . 30
Retries by day:
Number of retries . . . . . . 0
Time interval . . . . . . . . 0
Retries by hour:
Number of retries . . . . . . 0
Time interval . . . . . . . . 0
Retry remote name server . . . . *NO

If I interpret this correctly, it should retry a failed send three times
after a 30 minute wait. But, the last attempt was done on June 26th and
it was still looping through these today.

Any ideas or suggestions?

For starters, based on the journal information, I've advised the customer
to fix the bad email addresses in their database, but there must be a
better way.