From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Wells
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 10:08 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Port for real time HL7 transactions

Walden and Gerald,

Thank you for your replies. They confirmed my thoughts!

Gerald,

I have read your posts from when you were setting up the sockets applications. Very helpful information!

I will be setting up a server to receive unsigned HL7 operative notes and a client to returned signed HL7 operative notes (I forsee lots of other uses too.).

I assume you just picked an unassigned/unused port? That is what we were planning to do until I happened to find 2575.

What, if any, validation do you do after your server "accepts" a connection?
I have not yet received/tested any data, but it looks like the HL7 message will start with x'0b' and end with x'1c0d' - and I will not get anything else and will then return an HL7 ack that is also wrappered with x'0b' and x'1c0d'.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Wells
University of Alabama Health Services Foundation 500 22nd Street South, Suite 308 Birmingham, AL 35233 205-731-5610

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This e-mail is intended for the sole use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any dissemination, duplication or distribution of this transmission by someone other than the intended addressee or its designated agent is strictly prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately by replying to this e-mail.

On 6/26/2009 at 9:48 AM, in message
<OF5B05D2D7.4CCC548D-ON852575E1.0050958A-852575E1.00515405@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

<GKern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I didn't know there was a standard port for HL7.

I used Scott's tutorials too but I have coded different RPG
applications

for my various HL7 communication needs.

I have one application that is a socket client that feeds demographic
changes from our iSeries to our EMR.
Another (similar) application feeds patient appointments from our
iSeries to our EMR.
Another application feeds radiology requests to our RIS which then go

our EMR.

Then I have a lab application (socket server) that listens for lab
results and sends them to the EMR as well. This receives from two (and
soon to be
three) sources. The same program is used but I have a table defining
connection data that allows me to reuse the same program and connect
to whatever tcp address/port is defined in the table.

This allows me to segregate applications should they need modified,
and since all of our incoming connects are via VPN, each is different
so should there ever be connectivity issues we only have to address
that one connection rather than have all our interfaces rely on one
listening port.

Regards, Jerry

Gerald Kern - MIS Project Leader
Lotus Notes/Domino Administrator
IBM Certified RPG IV Developer
The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
4235 Secor Road
Toledo, OH 43623-4299
Phone 419-479-5535
gkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the
sender by reply e-mail and destroy this and all copies of this message.