From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2009 2:15 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Indexing a Physical File

John Candidi wrote:
How do you add an index to fields in a physical file
which was defined in COBOL without recreating the file?

Presumably "defined in COBOL" means the file declared\referenced
in\by the COBOL; i.e. an externally described PF was created using
SQL or DDS. In that case, then either of ADDPFCST CL command or the
ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT SQL statement, to add either a PRIMARY
KEY constraint or a UNIQUE constraint would suffice; note: these
require MAXMBRS(1) for the physical, if it was created using CRTPF.
If the desired key can not be unique, then the best option [to
avoid re-creating the PF with the desired key fields] is to create
and then use a keyed LF over the PF; created either by DDS with
CRTLF or SQL CREATE INDEX SQL statement. I prefer to use the LF
approach anyhow, to use only constraints for any keys in a physical.

Regards, Chuck