We are currently migrating from our old 270 to a brand new Power 6 box. As
such we are having to ditch the old twinax printers and go with the more
modern ethernet version. In short these are IBM 6400 line printers with
ethernet and IPDS vs the old 6400 with IPDS and twinax support. We do have
PSF on the system both old and new to handle the IPDS over ethernet and have
had IBM Barcode IPDS ethernet printers that have worked fine forever.

Our problem is on either system the twinax line printers work fine but the
new ethernet IPDS ones do not consistently send form change messages and
even worse they do not respect page length. So on either 5.1 or 5.4 of the
OS with PSF they behave improperly. We finally gave in and tried Remote
printer support and page size worked again but we lost the ability to
restart a spool file from whenever the printer messed up or jammed? It would
be real nice to configure the printers and get the desired IPDS
functionality back again.

Any idea of what could be going wrong here?
Here is the config:
CRTDEVPRT DEVD(PACT2) DEVCLS(*LAN) TYPE(*IPDS) MODEL(0) +
LANATTACH(*IP) AFP(*YES) PORT(5001) ONLINE(*YES) FONT(011 +
*NONE) FORMFEED(*CONT) SEPDRAWER(*FILE) PRTERRMSG(*INQ) +
MSGQ(*LIBL/QSYSOPR) ACTTMR(*NOMAX) IMGCFG(*NONE) +
MAXPNDRQS(6) PRTCVT(*YES) PRTRQSTMR(*NOMAX) +
FORMDF(*LIBL/F1C10110) CHRID(*SYSVAL) +
RMTLOCNAME('192.168.12.XXX') USRDFNOBJ(QGPL/PACT2 *PSFCFG) +
TEXT('IBM 6400-010 Line Printer') DEPLOCNAME(*NONE) +
PUBLISHINF(*UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN *BLANK)
The QGPL/PACT2 was added to enable sharing the printer between old and new
systems. I tried it without the workstation customizing option and the
behavior was the same.

Here is the old config, interesting that the new printer wants AFP(*YES) and
the old one does not:
CRTDEVPRT DEVD(PACT1) DEVCLS(*LCL) TYPE(*IPDS) MODEL(0) AFP(*NO) +
PORT(2) SWTSET(2) ONLINE(*YES) CTL(CTL01) FONT(011 *NONE) +
FORMFEED(*CONT) SEPDRAWER(*FILE) PRTERRMSG(*INQ) +
MSGQ(*LIBL/QSYSOPR) IMGCFG(*NONE) TEXT('CREATED BY +
AUTO-CONFIGURATION') DEPLOCNAME(*NONE) PUBLISHINF(*UNKNOWN +
*UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN *BLANK)