Unfortunately the commercial packages are all aimed at the old $300k+ to $10m AS/400 image. Pricing for the commercial packages, even for the smallest System i seems to range between $2500 and $4000 with a 20% yearly maintenance fee. Enough limited use packages like that for printing, auditing and backup and you can spend $400k on your new shiny $20k box.

And you wonder why the system is dying...basic tools, free on other systems, expensive on the System i...

Positively I will say that IBM seems to recognize the P05 tier is about $800 for a package and not much maintenance expense.

Regards,

Konrad

"Tom Liotta" <qsrvbas-VsqqI1RANlHk1uMJSBkQmQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:<h0btsk$nv9$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>...
Konrad Underkofler wrote:

Is this code available anywhere? Seems like a real need to translate the System Message Queue and Audit Journals to a syslog format and forward them on to a server.

Konrad:

<vendor>
PowerTech (now a Help/Systems company) markets Interact -- a (near)
real-time reporter of security related audit journal entries and
QSYSMSG messages for syslog. (Also specifically to ISS's Site
Protector.)
</vendor

Because the earlier reference was for a "commercial security
software package", it'd be a little surprising to find the code
freely available. From experience, I have to say that if the code is
commercial quality, it'd _really_ be surprising.

Handling numerous audit journal entries in order to format them for
syslog (and/or various syslog consoles) is far from a trivial task.
And if the information is converted into any resemblance of a
meaningful English statement, e.g., "The new *FILE MYLIB/MYFILE was
restored to the system; the object was unsignable" and all the other
potential sentences for different entry types, then I'd be amazed
that anyone went through so much work for such a focused and limited
market -- and then gave it away.

Just about anyone who's gone through that would want to be covered
at least for the time spent on the phone with IBM -- which can be
significant by itself.

Tom Liotta

gogo400 wrote ...
I actually wrote this exact thing some time ago for a commercial security
software package.

Anyone know of an opensource or free agent to convert the various AS400
security messages to a syslog format and forward them to a collector?

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.