Birgitta,

-----Original Message-----
<<< Does it mean you are using DDS described logical files and specify them
in the SQL statement? If so remove them and directly access the based
physical files. >>>

I've used both the base physical files and the DDS logicals.

<<< If the CQE is used, you may get a better performance when using Group
By instead of Distinct. If the vendor will be selected by the used, specify
the vendor file as the first of your files, to help the optimizer. In
either way run your SQL statement through iSeries Navigator's Visual Explain
and check which Query Engine is used. >>>

Will do. Mine is broken so I'll need to get it reloaded. Haven't really
needed it until now.

<<< After the second execution the ODP stays open, if it is reuseable and
you are not using the Option CLOSQLCSR = *ENDMOD and your SQL program is not
running in the
activation group *NEW. For all subsequent calls only the data in the
temporary object will be actualized. This may be an explication why the
first execution is so slow. >>>

I may be using both of those. I know I have the ` CLOSQLCSR = *ENDMOD`
coded.

<<< To give you more information, how your query could be optimized, we'd
need to see your SQL statement. Sometimes rewriting the query (and creating
additional indexes) will help to speed it up. >>>

Birgitta, send an e-mail directly to me at RMunday@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and I'll
send you the relevant code. I don't have access to this e-mail at work.
The new CEO thinks that access to online e-mail from work is unnecessary and
unproductive. All it does is deprive me of my Midrange lists. I'll be in
the office after 9am eastern and can respond then.

Thanks,

Robert Munday
Munday Software Consultants
Montgomery, AL